Tuesday, March 4, 2008

sshhh...

dare I say it, out loud? We have a potty trained boy!! Thank God, it finally clicked with Luke and we are in big boy pants all day now! That was seriously the longest 5 months, so many setbacks and frustrations, bribes and treats. I honestly at times thought I'd be changing his diapers in high school! (I'm only partly kidding) He is the fourth child, and I might say that one could get a bit confident (read: cocky) after successfully potty training three children. Shouldn't be a problem, right? Luke has blown a good majority of our parenting theories out of the water. He is a very strong-willed child. It is so funny because when he was born until he was about 2, he clung to me like his life depended on it. He was quiet and loving, tender and seemed to be very easily directed. Wellll...things change and from age 2 until now he has really challenged us. On the other hand, though, he is still just the most loving, adorable, sweet, tenderhearted little boy. With potty training, it has been a battle at times, one that I had to continually surrender to. I was NOT in control, something that is not easy for me to admit. :)
My wonderful friend, Sarah, had been dealing with potty training her son who is 3 also. After Christmas she told me he was potty trained. Of course, I was very jealous and asked her exactly how in the world she did it. Popsicles. Popsicles? Yes. Every time he went in the potty he got one. Why didn't I think of that? We had tried, m&ms, chocolates, fruit roll ups, and the list goes on. None of those things really meant much to Luke. But the minute I explained to him that he'd get a popsicle each time he pottied on the toilet, it clicked. It's been about 4 weeks now, and we've had only a few accidents. And he doesn't even ask for the popsicles anymore!
David had promised him that as soon as he was potty trained, he could join "soccer school". There is a 6 week program at the local indoor soccer place called "mommy (or daddy) and me". He went for the first time this past Saturday morning, and had the time of his life! He was SO cute out on the field. At the end they did a mini scrimmage and he made 4 goals! The penny he was wearing went all the way to his ankles, which made him look even smaller, but the look of pride and joy on his face was absolutely priceless. His siblings and parents cheering for him, he was in all his glory!

No comments: