Tuesday, November 11, 2008

change in plans

Sometimes the best laid plans don't work out the way I would hope. Tuesday mornings are supposed to be my Bible Study mornings. At the start of the school year I started going to a group on Tuesdays and I was so looking forward to it. After going twice, I started missing. Literally every Tuesday I have had a sick child from mid September until now. Yesterday Gabe had three vaccinations at his well child check up resulting in a high fever from the time he went to bed last night until this morning when it finally broke. Another Tuesday at home. It really is ok, actually it's teaching me to be {more} flexible. I think I roll with the punches of life pretty well, but when it comes to my daily responsibilities I am not so flexible. (warning: confession) I am definitely not an organized person (that wasn't the confession, that's a fact). I do tend to base my personal satisfaction on what I can accomplish in a day. That isn't a good way to be when you have 5 children, I am learning. Many evenings you will find me frustrated with the way the house looks, counting the things I *didn't* get to during the day. I hold myself to some pretty ridiculous standards. God is working on my heart in this area, though I do have a long way to go.
This morning put all of this into focus for me. I was up for the better part of the night with a sleepy, feverish baby boy. At 7 David woke me up, so I could get the kids going for school. Everyone was moving a bit slower than usual, resulting in 2 of the 3 missing the bus. Aargh! I *so* did not want to bundle the little boys into the cold car this morning. Gabe was still so cranky and Luke had just rolled out of bed. I fought my disappointment (perhaps not all that well) and got them to school about 5 minutes late. Get home, fussy baby on my hip, can't make coffee, hungry 4 year old...we had breakfast, and then instead of doing the things around the house that needed done, this is what we did:



Luke's aim was a bit off, he hit the camera!




I did end up getting my coffee this morning, and I think it tasted better after a good game of bowling in our pj's!

No comments: