Monday, January 14, 2008

meal planning monday...

this blog isn't going to turn into a recipe blog, by any means. I just thought it would be nice to write out our dinner menu for the week to come. Today was grocery shopping day and I planned for a good amount of meals. I don't cook every single night of the week. Some nights we'll eat leftovers and usually once a week we'll get pizza or takeout of some sort. Yesterday I asked each child for suggestions for dinners and this is what we came up with.

*Kraut Kugas (a family recipe, german, from my Grandma) Ben requested this one saying "you know those cucaracha things?"

*spaghetti (actually all the kids wanted this one, and it's one of my favorites too) I make my marinara sauce in the crockpot.

*noodles and gravy (Maddy) she requests this every time, it's her favorite. So I have had to come up with 3 different recipes to interchange for "noodles and gravy". This time it's chicken and gravy.

*apricot chicken with rice

*stew in the crockpot...a new recipe that uses sundried tomatoes. I was intrigued!

*teriyaki chicken/hawaiian chicken
marinated and served with pineapple

*curry chicken salad
I had some plain yogurt to use up and thought this would be yummy on the weekend

*Cheeseburger buns
something I found in an old Taste of Home magazine. We'll see how it turns out.

*spinach salad with cranberry dressing...the delicious recipe from Terri! :)


So that's about 8 meals, plus I always have a few "stand-bys" that I keep ingredients for. My goal for having meals on the table at a decent time each night went pretty well last week, and so begins another week with the same intentions!

2 comments:

Terri said...

You're inspiring, that's for sure! I'm not usually so organized! I'd love to get your crockpot marinara sauce recipe. I've been making mine in bulk, and though it's SUPER healthy (loaded with veggies), I'm looking for a way to give it some zip. Also, I'm SO glad you love that dressing recipe. I have yet to find someone who doesn't like it!

Emilee said...

Here's the recipe, and I have been meaning to try yours too! I love having sauce in the freezer for quick meals. This recipe is so easy and simple, I bet combining it with some pureed or chopped veggies would be delicious!

1 large onion, chopped (1cup)
8 cloves garlic, finely chopped (that's a lot, I use maybe 4 cloves)
2 cans (28oz each) crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6oz) tomato paste
1 T. olive or vegetable oil
2 t. sugar
2 t. dried basil leaves
1 t. dried oregano leaves
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
(I usually shake in a few extra spices or just heap the ones the recipe calls for)

Mix all in crockpot and cook for 8-10 hours on low setting, 4-5 hours on high.