Saturday, January 5, 2008

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Whew, I guess it's been a while since I have posted anything here. And
I have thought of it, just haven't really had the time to sit down and
put my thoughts into words with all of the busy holiday activities,
etc. We had a nice holiday, just a bit different than usual. This year
we spent Christmas Eve with my parents and my sister, then actually had
(our first) Christmas Day at home, without company or traveling
anywhere! It was nice, and I think the kids really enjoyed staying in
their pjs all day and playing with their new toys. The day after Christmas we left here at lunchtime and travelled up north to Boyne, a ski resort in northern Michigan. David's whole family was there for 4 days to ski and use the indoor waterpark and just spend a little vacation together. It was a fun, busy time, full of new memories. I must say though, that taking 5 children ANYWHERE for ANY amount of time is literally like moving. For a 4 day trip we had our Suburban packed full inside, and the canvas luggage carrier full on top of the truck as well. The poor kids were like little sardines in there and when we stopped for bathroom or baby feeding breaks, they had to navigate their way out of their seats ever so carefully not to step on anything packed around their feet. Ah, well. We like to say that we don't do things small in our family, from the amount of kids we have to the amount of food I make at meals to packing for trips. :) Good times.
David has been off work for the two weeks which has been really nice. It is always good to have him home. They all (3 kids and David) will be back to school Monday. Our mornings of sleeping until 8 will be over and back to getting up at 6:30 or so.
Personally, I am mentally preparing myself to make some changes for the new year. With the baby being more awake and therefore needing me a bit more, I am finding I feel busier now than when Gabe was a newborn. Last month I found myself feeling stretched very thin and often frustrated at the end of the day. My goal for this new year is to work on the structure of my day. Having meal plans for two weeks at a time, getting the housework done in a reasonable amount of time (or actually letting things go more often) instead of spending all day on it. I guess I just feel the need to make these small changes with the hopes of feeling a bit more relaxed at the end of the day, and to be able to spend more quality time with the kids as well. After 12+ years of being a mother/wife, I still have these times of getting back to the basics. Usually it happens after we have a new baby. Anyway, there's my goal and I am looking forward to starting the new year on a new foot and with a new outlook. *smile*
So this year, 2008, we have a few milestones we will celebrate! Our 12th anniversary is coming up on the 20th of this month. We will take 5 children to Walt Disney World in April (Lord, help us). Our oldest child will turn 13!! Our second born will be 9, #3 will be 6, #4 will be 4, and #5 will be 1!! Lots to look forward to, but at the same time it is bittersweet to see them grow up so fast. I frequently tell them to just "stop growing up", but they don't listen.
Now that I have written a novel to try to catch everyone up on our very exciting life...I will start a new post with some cute pictures of fun things we did over the Christmas season.
Many blessings to all of you in this new year.

No comments: