Monday, January 7, 2008

White Chicken Chili, in the crockpot

This is so easy and SO good.

White Chicken Chili

*note: I don't add the corn or cilantro to this dish (although I am sure it would be good that way). I did add 2 more cups of chicken broth and a bit more cumin and oregano when I added the beans to make this more of a soup. I also turned the heat up to high on the slow cooker after adding the beans to speed up the heating process after shredding the chicken. A few of us enjoyed a dollop of sour cream on top of the chili. Yum!

6 skinless chicken thighs
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. red pepper sauce
2 cans (15 to 16 oz each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can white shoepeg corn, drained
3 T. lime juice
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro

Remove excess fat from chicken. Mix onion, garlic, broth, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper sauce in crock pot. Add chicken.
Cover and cook on low heat setting 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken from slow cooker. Use 2 forks to remove bones and shred chicken into pieces. Discard bones; return chicken to slow cooker. Stir in beans, corn, lime juice and cilantro. Cover and cook on low heat setting 15 to 20 minutes or until beans and corn are hot.
8 servings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

P.S. can you make this without a crockpot??? i really want to get some easy recipes from you and mom and start cooking more!

Emilee said...

I would think so. I would use a large covered pot and cook the thighs for an hour or two on low heat (after bringing to a boil first). I don't think you could go wrong! You'll love this soup Anna, it is so good! If you want any other recipes, let me know. ;)